I debated about using the word “vegan” in this title because I worried readers might assume this sesame tofu recipe tasted terrible. But I did it anyway because in the end I believe it is important to be completely transparent.
So, yes, this is a vegan sesame tofu recipe. It is also delicious and easy. So delicious, in fact, that I’m going to start doubling the recipe to account for the fact that my kids eat three servings of it each every time I make it. And, it is so easy that I can make it while dealing with a 3 year old who is losing his shit because I won’t let him eat chocolate chip cookies before dinner.
Vegan Sesame Tofu Recipe Notes
Like I said, I have made this several times and so I have a few suggestions for you before you get started.
- While extra firm tofu works just fine with this recipe, I prefer to use sprouted tofu because it has a much firmer texture and a bit more going for it nutritionally. We use Wildwood sprouted tofu, but there are other brands out there.
- When I’m not making this for the kids, I use sesame oil infused with chili oil.
- I know I said to serve this over white rice; however, I prefer to eat it with rice noodles. I just don’t unless I have time to make rice and rice noodles because my family thinks rice noodles are “weird.”
Visit our recipes section for more vegan and vegetarian recipes and resources.
This article originally published on GroundingUp.
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 c water
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch slurry 2 tbsp water & 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Press and drain the tofu. Then break it into small pieces and allow it to drain further. Then combine the tofu pieces in a covered container with the corn starch and toss to coat.
- Saute the coated tofu on medium heat in a few tablespoons of oil until golden brown. Then remove from the pan and place on a plate with a paper towel to degrease a little.
- To make the sauce, combine all the sauce ingredients except for the cornstarch slurry, in a wok or pan. Bring to a gentle boil and then add the cornstarch slurry. Mix until the sauce thickens. Then, add the tofu and toss to coat.
- Serve over white rice and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.